Friday 22 December 2017

The Mantels of Christmas!

Okay, more like vignettes, but they are fun to assemble. It is an exercise that starts the first week of December because the house has be cleaned and all the surfaces prepared. This first stage does take about a week, because I work and after work I knit, so finding time to dust and put things away is a challenge.

Next is the 'gathering' of all things Christmasy and sorting those items into groups according to color, items, etc. Of course the more I find, the more space I need. Hence, the 'mantels' part of this tale.

Have too many ideas and too much stuff....there I said it public...I thought why not set up different displays this year?!

The first idea was to highlight the different sleighs, then after some digging and hauling up boxes from the basement, the trees started to emerge. I had no idea there were that many trees in the house. Apparently, neither did the husband.

Confession...on my way to work I stopped at the Salvation Army Thrift Store to drop off, yes drop off a couple of bags of stuff; telling myself that I was not going in there, but the Christmas section beckoned and thank God I went in, because there all by its lonesome was this marvelous mid century grey/silver tinsel tree! It is fabulous and I knew just the girl to complement it.

So many trees and ideas that a different blog is needed to give them justice.

With this many collections, I have been trying to determine the ones I love the most and determine if and what I could part with ....so far... not so much purging going on.  Two things that are taking centre stage now are the dolls (and Tinkerbell) and fuzzy knitted things.
 


I give you Mantel #1
Did I mention Swans...and things with feathers, not to mention blingey things...have captured my heart as well?!


Mantel #2
The top of my modern but mission style desk, provided a perfect place for the smaller sleighs with the bigger sleighs on the work surface. And pink I have to add the PINK!


The wood sleigh with faux fur is to die for! I bought a few years ago (and may have nudged a good friend out of the way) and can't believe it is just making it's debut now.

And shoes, did I mention the shoe fetish?



Barbie photobombs everything lately.

Fireplace Setting
Only place I had left for this big decorated metal sleigh. Don't even ask how this one found its way into the house. Not something I look for and there were two dolls that went with it. Another doll collector wanted the dolls but not the sleigh, so I said I would take it. Add some Anna Lee mice, a bear, a couple reindeer, an elf and oh yah...Piggy Penley. Again, don't ask!


Mantel #3
Another modern piece in the mission style, this cabinet holds a lot of stuff, and I change the items on the top of it regularly. This is a perfect place for the vintage Christmas items.


Table Top!
Really love this 50s Christmas lady, the Noel cup and the new white ceramic Christmas tree so they need a special place all of their own.


Buffet
This solid oak buffet was built in the 1920s and is the perfect scale and style for our house. Fresh flowers are regular features here.


Not a Christmas tree or display, but this late 40s or early 50s ivory and red gown is luscious!! Yes the bow is for the back, but it looks better in pictures pinned on the front. And...and...a new to me plaid apron!


May your Christmas be Merry and Bright!!


1 comment:

  1. Last year, when I packed y my Christmas decor, I sorted it by theme. Trees, Santa’s, snowmen, and ended up with one that’s more wintery (snowflake) that I haul out early & put away late. Then I labelled the lids. It’s always like a combination of jigsaw puzzle meets tetris trying to get it all back in the same bins. It’s not like I add more than a couple new items per year, so it should fit, right?

    ReplyDelete