Saturday 29 June 2013

Air-ing Anna!

This is Anna, circa 1948. When I told her it is my first satin dress with peplums...she corrected my pronunciation!


Satin Acetate!! What to do...it smells. Even though she had it packed in tissue in its original box -  from Thompson & Dimes 106 Street and Jasper Avenue in the 'old' Holt Renfrew building - once I took it out at home a mothball type smell was overwhelming. I had to leave it in our porch!

So it gets the hanging in the breeze treatment for a few days...it really does help.


And the wonderful ten foot long veil is heavenly...but smelly as well. The smell came out in one day.

Happy in the breeze, released after 65 years.

It is always a privilege to be the next keeper of such a loved piece.
Yes Anna is a retired teacher...she has a school hand bell collection and is a prolific knitter for charity.

Collecting is fun but meeting the people is better!!

1 comment:

  1. Great find, Vicki! Yes, I have had success with airing out mothbally items in fresh air. Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete